Professor Jami Flick gave an interesting and eye-opening presentation during our last Foundations class.
The lecture was over health promotion, health literacy, and health prevention. Immediately, I was interested in this topic because I believe that the current trend in health care is moving more towards prevention. During Professor Flick's presentation I learned about organizations I had never heard of before, such as The Institute for Healthcare Improvement and their Triple Aim movement.
I think my favorite part of her presentation was over health literacy. While I was in undergrad, I was apart of a greek letter organization. Our philanthropy was literacy, so literacy is something that is near and dear to my heart. Since I've been apart of several events to raise money for literacy, I'm very familiar with the statistics related to illiteracy.
However, the video Jami showed of people who had been to healthcare clinics that were illiterate was VERY eye-opening. There were people in the video who were taking the wrong dose of medicine (way too much), not going to the doctor in order to avoid filling out paperwork, and even a woman who signed papers agreeing to a total hysterectomy. This was MIND-BLOWING for me to watch.
At the end of the class, I feel like I had a lot of take-aways from Professor Flick's presentation.
Comments
Post a Comment