Skip to main content

Tim's Case Study: Heather Alimossy

Today in Neuro Tim gave his Case Study presentation on a 19 year old woman named Heather who was diagnosed with Huntington's disease from a documentary he watched. Heather's mom and brother both have HD, which is the main reason she decided to get tested. Normally, symptoms don't arise until your 40s, but Heather was diagnosed at 19. I didn't know much about HD until Tim gave his presentation and an interesting thing I learned was that HD is genetic, but it is not recessive. So, if you have the disease and have children, your children have a 50/50 chance of developing the disease. However, if your children never show any signs of HD, their children won't have a chance of developing the disease. I've never heard of a genetic disease that does this.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Notebook

Again with the cheesy romantic movies, but I can't help myself. For my NeuroNote, I decided to do re-watch the Notebook for the 1,000th time. It's funny what you notice in movies when you watch them looking for specific things. This time around I wasn't watching to swoon over the relationship between the two main characters, Allie and Noah, but for the movies portrayal of dementia.  The Notebook is arguably one of the most popular romance movies of my time. It centers around the rocky relationship of Noah and Allie. I won't go into too much detail giving a summary, but basically the couple breaks up while they are young and find each other again when they are older. Allie leaves her rich, handsome, smitten fiancĂ© for Noah and they marry and have kids.  However, the story of Noah and Allie is actually told by Noah, who is reading it out loud from a book to Allie in an assisted living home. The couple is elderly, and Allie has severe dementia. She has no idea who h...

Leadership Summit

This week, I met with 2 other classmates that are also facilitating the same (original) day as I was.  My topic is over communication management, but my classmates facilitation is on health management and maintenance, and play participation.  I think it was very helpful to meet and collaborate with each other.  I have been trying to figure out which theory I wanted to use with my activity and I've been really stumped, but having a new set of eyes look over my draft was super beneficial.  I was also a little skeptical of my activities but my classmates reassured me that it was a solid group therapy session and they would enjoy it.  Feedback I think was the most beneficial part of the collaboration!  I also thought it was helpful to get input from my classmates on different ideas, like goals and discussion questions.   Going forward, I think I will seek out feedback and collaboration from my peers, whether that is in my academic setting or in my future ...

Cameron's Case Study

Cameron did his case study on Me Before You, a movie where the main character, Will Traynor, suffers a SCI. Cameron said that if he were Will's OT, he would have had to include Will's mother/care giver when he made a goal plan because Will's mental state was so negative. He had no interest or will to live at all. He mentioned that the biggest role of the OT in Will's life would probably be for the pschological aspect of therapy. Restoring his interest, motivation, and social life is key to a successful intervention when working with someone that has an SCI. His short term and long term intervention goals were all based off of his interests and life activities before the accident. Cameron brought up that every care-giver in Will's life up until Lou was there to just help him through the motions of everyday life. Lou was the first care-giver who tried to get Will involved in the things he did before he got injured. We all agreed that Lou acted very much as an OT for...